We offer full services to assist US citizens with legal residence in a European country who need assistance with gathering documents needed to apply for Italian citizenship by descent or by marriage. We have successfully assisted clients in Italy, France, Belgium, England, Switzerland and the Netherlands prepare their Italian citizenship applications. We recommend that before beginning the process you verify with the Italian government their specific requirements for the application; in Italy this is the Italian Comune (Town Hall) in which you reside. Outside of Italy this is the local Italian Consulate or Embassy. In general, the requirements are as listed below.
Italian citizenship by descent, “jure sanguinis”
- Birth certificate of the Italian ancestor
- Certificate of Nonexistence of Naturalization records issued by USCIS or certified copy of naturalization showing that the Italian ancestor became a US citizen after the birth of the intermediary (or applicant if the Italian ancestor is his/her parent)
- Marriage record of Italian ancestor
- Birth and marriage records of all direct line descendants including the applicant
- Birth records of applicant’s minor children
- Divorce records pertaining to applicant
All documents issued outside of Italy need to be authenticated with Apostille, translated into Italian and the translations must be legalized by the Italian Consulate/Embassy of the country of issuance
Italian citizenship by marriage, “jure matrimonii”
- Birth certificate of applicant
- Marriage certificate issued by the Municipality in Italy
- Criminal background checks for the all places of legal residence since age 14, for former US residence this includes State Police and FBI Clearances
The applicant’s birth certificate and background checks for countries outside of Italy must be authenticated with Apostille and translated into Italian and the translations must be legalized by the Italian Consulate/Embassy
Our services include consultation, procurement of required Italian and US documents, Apostille and translation for US documents and legalization of translations at the Italian Consulate.
Contact us today to schedule a telephone appointment with an ICAP Manager and our consulting attorney to discuss your application.