Naturalization through an Italian Spouse
Spouses of Italians (including same sex marriage) can apply for Italian citizenship under one of the following conditions:
- 2 years from the date of marriage if residing in Italy, or after 3 years from the date of marriage if residing abroad.
These time requirements are reduced by 50% if the couple has children under the age of 18
Obtaining Italian Citizenship through Marriage can be challenging given the time sensitivity of documents and obtaining the marriage certificate from Italy if you were married outside of the Country. We offer a 45-minute phone consultation which includes the following:
- Review of the application requirements specific to the Italian Consulate Jurisdiction in which you reside, confirming that the spouse of the Italian is eligible to apply for citizenship through marriage. Documents that are needed for the application are:
- Verification of your Italian language knowledge through one of the following ways:
– Applicant possess a degree issued by an Italian public institution or equivalent;
– Degree issued by an Italian public institution or equivalent CILS certificate Level B1 issued by: Universita’ per stranieri di Siena; Universita’ per gli stranieri di Perugia; Universita’ Roma Tre; Societa’ Dante Alighieri.
- Italian marriage certificate (marriages outside of Italy must be recorded and obtained from the Town Hall where the Italian spouse is registered).
- US birth certificate of applicant
- FBI and State Police background checks
- Authentication of all US documents with Apostille
- Professional translation authenticated by the Italian Consulate/Embassy
After the consultation, we will provide you with you with a summary and recommendations. We can assist you with the following aspects of your application:
- Italian Language Lessons to help prepare for the proficiency exam
- Obtain certified copy of the Italian Marriage Certificate
- Obtain Apostille for all US vital Records
The cost of the initial consultation is $120.00.
Below are the public guidelines for applying for Italian citizenship through marriage:
- A male or female (foreign or stateless) spouse of an Italian citizen may apply for Italian citizenship after being married for two years if residing in Italy, or after three years from the date of marriage if he/she resides abroad, by presenting a request for naturalization accompanied by the following documents:
- 1) CILS certificate issued by: Universita’ per stranieri di Siena; Universita’ per gli stranieri di Perugia; Universita’ Roma Tre; Societa’ Dante Alighieri.
- 2) ITALIAN SPOUSE, if residing outside of Italy, must be registered at the A.I.R.E. department at the Italian Consulate or Embassy that has jurisdiction over the person’s place of legal residence.
- 3) Marriage certificate issued by the Italian Comune. Parties married outside of Italy who have not had their marriage certificate recorded in Italy by the Italian Consulate with territorial jurisdiction over their place of marriage, must present their certificate to the competent consular authority, requesting its registration in Italy, and subsequently obtain the “estratto per riassunto dell’atto di matrimonio” from the Comune, before presenting their application (please be aware that this may take a varying number of months, depending on the Consulate and on the Comune).
- 4) BIRTH CERTIFICATE of the applying spouse. If the applicant was born in the United States this must be a “certified copy” or “long form” or “full form”, with an “APOSTILLE” (a legalization issued by the Secretary of State), accompanied by a translation into Italian
- 5) CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP OF THE ITALIAN SPOUSE. In the US the Italian Spouse accomplishes this by being registered at the Italian Consulate of legal residence.
- 6A) “POLICE CLEARANCE” or “Certificate of criminal records,” issued by the central Authority of each State and Country of which the applicant has been a resident since the age of 14. The certificates must be originals, with APOSTILLES, accompanied by Translation into Italian.
- 6B) FBI CLEARANCE (with required finger prints) with Translation into Italian. This document must be obtained from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.6)
- 7) An applicant who has resided in Italy for six months or more also need to provide background clearances from Italy
(Please Note: All background clearances must be dated no more than six months before application.)
- 8) Applicant’s VALID PASSPORT and photocopy (The copy will be certified by the Consulate).
As of August 1, 2015, new regulations have been promulgated in connection with the spousal citizenship application process. All applications must be submitted online with digital copies of required documents to the Minestero dell’Interno. Applicants will then be contacted by the relevant consulate jurisdiction of an appointment date in which to appear at the consulate with the original documents.
An individual must apply through the Italian Consulate where the Italian spouse is registered with current residence. Although the naturalization law for spouses of Italian citizens applies regardless of place of legal residence, each consulate has slightly different procedures regarding application procedures. Please check with the Italian Consulate of the Jurisdiction where the Italian Spouse is registered for more information or contact us.
Note: Women who married men before April 27, 1983 are eligible for automatic citizenship through their Italian husband, if currently married.
Read more about our Refund / Cancellation Policy.