Based on the Italian Citizenship Law of “JUS SANGUINIS” if you are an American citizen by birth whose parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent was an Italian citizen, you may be eligible for Italian citizenship by descent. Italian citizenship is granted by birth through the paternal line, with no limit on the number of generations, or through the maternal line for individuals born after 1 January 1948. An Italian citizen may be born in a country (such as the US) whose citizenship is acquired at birth by all persons born there.
If you are married to an Italian citizen you may be eligible to apply for Italian citizenship through marriage.Women who married an Italian citizen before 27 April 1983 were automatically granted Italian citizenship. Otherwise, if your spouse is an Italian citizen you can apply after 2 years legal residence in Italy, or 3 years living in the US. This time will be reduced by half if you and your spouse have children (natural or adopted).
We provide all of the following services for Italian Citizenship by descent and through marriage:
- Phone Consultation
- Naturalization Record Search
- Italian Vital Records (birth, marriage, death)
- US Records & Apostille
- Police and FBI Clearance and procurement of Italian marriage certificate for Italian citizenship by marriage
- Full Service Packages for Italian Citizenship by descent and through marriage
Please note that we are a privately owned company and not part of the Italian Government. We strive to keep updated with the Application Requirements of all of the Italian Consulates in the United States. It is important for you to be aware that all decisions regarding a person’s application and the granting of Italian Citizenship are made by the Italian Consulate of the Jurisdiction in which the applicant resides.
Information on the Italian citizenship application requirements for the Italian Consulate jurisdiction in which you reside can be found at their websites:
Italian Embassy and Italian Consulates in the US
- Embassy of Italy in Washington, DC
- Boston Consulate General
- Chicago Consulate General
- Detroit Consulate General
- Houston Consulate General
- Los Angeles Consulate General
- Miami Consulate General
- New York Consulate General – http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consolato_NewYork
- Philadelphia Consulate General
- San Francisco Consulate General